Monday, June 29, 2009

Catching up

This one will take a while 'cause I've not written for a while there's a lot to write about.

Coldplay. Went to see Coldplay at GM Place in Vancouver a week ago. I'm not a mega-fan of Coldplay, but I have to say that the show was the most entertaining I've seen in years. I go to a lot of gigs and I always enjoy them but this one was better than usual. First off, there were two warm-up acts.

The first one was Howling Bells, from Australia. They're kind of a cross between less dreary Cure and Sarah MacLachlan. Needless to say I bought their only album (check iTunes).

The second warm-up was Snow Patrol from Ireland. Another great band. One thing that struck me about them was that the singer had a huge grin on his face all the way through the set. I was wondering if he just couldn't believe that he was up there opening for Coldplay.

Then Coldplay themselves were excellent. The band were all over the stage, the lighting was excellent, they played in three different places in the venue. At the end of a stage in the audience and then at the other end in a spot where 6 seats had been reserved. Brilliant show.

Then last week I went to see The Tragically Hip at the Orpheum in Vancouver. The Orpheum is a lovely place to see anyone. It's an old building and is really designed for plays and stuff like that, which leads me to my only complaint about the Hip show. It was too loud! My ears rang for two days after. The Orpheum is not really designed for amplified music. But the Hip were terrific. I saw them at the Pemberton festival last summer but it was really nice to see them in a more intimate setting. The antics of Gord Downey (the singer) are worth the ticket price on their own.

That's about it for live music this year I think. U2 is coming later on and I might go to that, AC/DC are coming too but no thanks.

Still looking for full-time work. Had a few nibbles but nothing really. One company was looking for someone with my exact qualifications, they brought me in for an interview, and - nothing. Didn't even call me back. Rude. Had a phone interview last week that sounded hopeful but nothing yet.

My own 'business' is not really doing anything either.

Been doing some stuff around the house. Built the bench we've wanted for a while. It's in the mud room and is really somewhere to take off your shoes and for the kids to put their stuff, backpacks, jackets and shoes. My wife has been wanting me to do it for ages and now it's done.

Been out walking a lot, riding my bike a lot too.

Anyway, that's enough for now.

I'm on Twitter as vanmacguy if you want to look me up.

End of line.

No comments: