Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A good day? Maybe...

Some of my friends got let go from work today. We (actually, I, now) work (or worked) for a media company in downtown Vancouver. The company is ‘restructuring’ and ‘getting back to core values’ and this meant that the video editors that have been there for a long time, were no longer required.

I understand that it’s just business and as such I fully support the company. I agree that we should re-align ourselves with the core values and that in that case, these unfortunate people were surplus to requirements. But I feel so bad for them.

I guess I wouldn’t feel as bad if I too had been let go (yeah, no kidding, I’d just be worried sick about making mortgage payments) but I do feel really bad. But here I am anyway, still ‘with job’ and with job that I love too I might add.

Well, when I say here I am, I’m not actually working right now, I’m at my MUG. For those that don’t read this trash normally, I’m the President of the Vancouver Macintosh User Group (MUG). And tonight (actually, as I type this), we’re being treated to a great presentation from a member of the MAC BU which is the Macintosh Business Unit at Microsoft.

I like how Microsoft and Apple are able to still work together given there vast differences and the (in my opinion) very funny and pointed Mac vs PC ads currently running on TV. They try really hard to make Office look good and work really well on the Mac. And they’ve almost got it. They went through a lot of changes to Office for this new version and for the most part it’s great. Word takes a long time to load for me, but apparently this is a known issue and is being addressed by MS. So stay current with your patches.

Saw Sarah Silverman a few weeks ago, it was great to see her. I’m a huge fan of her comedy. The only disappointment I had with the show was that I had heard or seen more than half of the material that she did that night.

I’m going to see Rush and The Cure in May too. And now Oasis had added Vancouver dates in August. Tickets are expensive! But that’s not stopping me.

I’m buying a new computer from the MUG on the weekend. We’ve decided on a nice, shiny new 15″ MacBook Pro. So I’m going to have an ‘unboxing’ ceremony, complete with pictures which I’ll put up on the MUG web. I’ve unboxed a few Mac’s now and have never taken pictures, everyone should have at least one unboxing. Sounds rude, but it’s not. Well, it is if you want it to be anyway.

Tonight is also the big draw at the MUG. We’re raffling off $1500 in Apple hardware the winners choice). I have $200 in tickets and am going to buy a BlackBook if I win it. The BlackBook is for my Daughter in Calgary. She runs a PC right now and nobody deserves that!

More soon.

No comments: