Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Glasses

Went for an eye test today. I did this for a number of reasons.

Firstly, my currently glasses are getting scratched, or are already scratched to be more precise.

Secondly, I've noticed that my vision is getting worse, particularly without glasses.

And finally, due to my leaving this company, I want to make the most of my benefits before I leave.

So, I had them tested and found that they have indeed deteriorated since my last exam and that my glasses are no longer as useful as they were.

After the test, I took a look for new glasses, and found some. I have a wide head (must be to contain all the brains?) and so a lot of frames don't fit. The glasses stores in Vancouver must cater to smaller people than me. 

Now for a little history lesson.

When I was growing up in England, our Health Care Service was called the National Health Service or NHS for short. The NHS would give you glasses so you didn't need to buy them, but they only had one style. When I was younger and not nearly as nice as I am now, I and others could always tell when a kid came from a poor home because he/she would wear 'NHS frames'.

So, forward on to today. NHS frames actually turned out to be exactly the same frames as Rayban Wayfarers. And dammit all if those shape frames weren't the ones I picked out today?

So, I'm going to be wearing glasses that I wouldn't have been seen dead in when I was a kid. 

Glasses who's wearers were mocked when I was a kid. 

And I'll be paying 850 for them, when people I mocked got them for free.

Dumb, huh?

Oh well, best get back to work so I can afford to pay for them...

No comments: